Monday, December 1, 2008

Sheep Hill

One of the things I remember doing as a kid on Thanksgiving weekend is hiking.  We would usually go to Usery Park and hike Wind Cave.  I have lots of fun memories hiking, eating and having a grand ol' time with cousins and other family.  To keep the tradition going, I hiked Sheep Hill yesterday for the first time with the boys.  Bria came along in a baby backpack. Travis has done this hike several times with the boys so I was very amazed when I discovered how steep it is.  I thought the ropes and other gear they always take were just for fun, but now I know better. Spencer really uses the ropes to help him on the really steep parts, and most of the hike is really, really steep!  Travis goes the whole way with Drew up on his shoulders hanging on tightly to his ears.  Talk about crazy!  There were a few times I thought I would tip over with Bria on my back. When we got to the top we could see lots of Flagstaff.  The boys had fun playing in the dirt.  After a quick snack we headed down.  Bria had a great time bouncing along.  Drew, up on Travis' shoulders, was singing a happy tune and Travis gave his leg a shake to ask him to be a little quieter.  Drew's shoe flew off and rolled down the hill.  We all got a good chuckle out of that, especially Spencer.  All in all it was a fun adventure, and I'm ready for more!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you have continued this hiking tradition. I have hiked a few different and interesting places, France's Normandy Penninsula, Arizona's Sierra Ancha Mountains, California's Big Sur Forest and Coastal areas. All have inspired in me a Spiritual awe that is making more sense to me these days.

I know that Jesus created this Earth and it is this direct connection to Christ that speaks to me. The rock formations a canyon's wind and water etched shapes is even part of His creation. Certainly the plants and animals abilities to survive and procreate whithin their speceis is a gift from Heavenly father.

Our Savior's Creation and gift of this Earth is a place to enjoy and care for and to learn to use apropriately. It's Creator is certainly who we must appreceiate and worship. A loving Heavenly Father who blessed us with this life in this most special of all his created Earths, where the Savior created all and gave the ultimate gift of the atonement, where the Holy Ghost speaks to our spirts about the beauties and goodness we experience; this is why we love the out doors and are blessed so much by living with this sacred creation and gift.

I must also thank Papa Bob and Memaw G'lenn for inspiring and instructing Travis in these things. Your family certainly has an appreciation of these things the Savior has given us. Travis' work shows his love of the beauties given us and inspire a love of Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost thru the scenery shown as well as choices made in the well told stories. Keep on Keepin' on.

Alice said...

How fun! I wish we could have been there to hike with you. We went on a little hike the next day, but it was nice to be outside and enjoy the beautiful fall weather. Maybe we can go on a little hike in Idaho. :)