Sunday, October 9, 2011

General Conference October 2011


Stephanie from Diapers and Divinity  did a General Conference Meme again. I love General Conference. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints we hold a General Conference twice a year in April and October. During conference we hear from the prophet, as well as other leaders of the church. It is a wonderful, uplifting and inspiring time for us to hear the messages God would have us hear at this time. Thanks to modern technology we have the ability to read, watch, and listen to the talks again and again with just a few clicks of the mouse. I encourage everyone to check it out at LDS.org . These messages really are for everyone!
General Conference Highlights, October 2011
1.  Who were your three favorite speakers?
How do I choose? There were so many wonderful talks! Here are 3 that come to mind right now.
I loved Richard G. Scott's talk on reading, studying, and memorizing the scriptures. This talk really caught my attention right off. I am thankful to have access to the scriptures and know I need to do better in my study of them. About two years ago my family decided to start memorizing scriptures more. You can read about how we do it here .
 Sister Dalton's talk on how to be a good father was amazing. Sis. Dalton counseled fathers to teach their daughters, spend time with them, be their guardians and share testimony with them. I love anything on parenting in the Lord's way. I don't think anything would have a more profound impact on the world than parents being better. 
I also loved Elder Eyring's talk on standing as a witness and using the Book of Mormon to see how you are doing. He said we need to be charitable, stand as a witness of God and endure. He is a powerful witness and I am so thankful for his example.
2.  Which talk spoke to you the most?
Ian S. Ardern's talk. His talk is called A Time to Prepare. He said we need to become a master manager of our time, identify wasteful distractions, and devote our time to what matters most- specifically giving our time in the service of others. 
3.  What was your favorite Hymn and why did it move you?
Consider the Lillies. I have to admit I don't know all the words, but the song is so beautiful.
I Feel My Savior's Love. I love the line "He knows I will follow Him, give all my life to Him" It makes me want to try harder to truly live for Him.
4.  Which speaker was the best dressed?  (Come on, we can have a little fun.)
No idea. I guess I remember Pres. Uchtdorf's ties the most. 
5.  Were there any topics that you felt like were repeated often?  Any conference “themes”?
Charity/service seemed to be a big one. Also families.
6.  Share a few of your favorite quotes from any of the talks (paraphrasing is fine).
Richard G. Scott- Learning, pondering, searching, and memorizing scriptures is like filling a filing cabinet with friends, values, and truths that can be called upon anytime, anywhere in the world.
Richard G. Scott- Scriptures can calm an agitated soul. (I love this one!)
Ian S. Arden- We must learn to prioritize our choices to match our goals.
Henry B. Eyring - Desire to do what is contrary to God's will has died in those who are truly converted. 
Henry B. Eyring- As you serve others for Him, He lets you feel His love. And in time, feelings of charity become part of your very nature.
Sis. Dalton- The most important thing a father can do for his daughter is to love her mother. By the way you love her mother, you will teach your daughter about tenderness, loyalty, respect, compassion, and devotion. She will learn from your example what to expect from young men and what qualities to seek in a future spouse. 
7.  Name something(s) that made you smile or laugh during conference.
President Monson’s saying hello, his funny faces and humor. I have always loved his ability to tell stories.
8.  Was there any evidence that your children paid attention?
My 5 year old did great noticing when a new speaker came on so he could color in the new tie. 
9.  What doctrine did you learn as you listened to the choir(s) sing?
The gospel brings peace. Being receptive to the Holy Ghost provides a calm assurance that God is real. He knows me and loves me. 
10.  Did the music enhance your General Conference experience? How?
Good music brings the spirit and conference music is always some of the best! I loved hearing the children sing. 
As a side note I mentioned to my eight year old that if those children can sit there during conference politely and hopefully reverently, he should be able to do it too. That seemed to make a lot of sense to him! 
11.  What are some of your post-conference goals?
To be more faithful about reading/pondering the scriptures, to learn more about family history, to improve my ability to receive and act on personal revelation, to be more loving and patient, and to use my time more wisely keeping in mind my purpose as a wife, mother and daughter of God.

No comments: