Thursday, August 13, 2009

Back to School BBQ

I am the ward activities chair. Every year our ward has a BBQ when school starts. This year it started out with a bang. Thunder shook the house as my family loaded up the car with hamburgers and hot dogs. The last activity was cut short due to a storm, so I was a little worried about this one even getting started. Thankfully, by the time we got to the park the rain had stopped and the sun was peaking through. We ended up having a really good turn out. Here are some of my wonderful helpers.
We started out with a hot dog eating contest.
The winner is...Brent Jirsa.
Everyone seemed to have a good time visiting and eating all the yummy things people brought to share.
Some of the kids had a great time playing in the sand. They took cups full of water to bury in the sand. They were making a really neat lake. Carter, a boy in Spencer's primary class thought they were wasting the water his family had brought. He's a pretty rowdy kid and didn't waste words. He jumped into a fight, swinging and kicking. Spencer fought back, and ended up with a bloody nose, which made him cry. I asked him who won and he said Carter, because of the bloody nose. That pretty much ended the fight. I missed the whole thing, but was told that the boys dads took care of it. Spencer says he and Carter are still friends and so I guess every one is happy enough. This is where it all happened. Spencer's first fight!!! (and hopefully his last)

No comments: