Sunday, June 14, 2009

Graduation

Spencer's Kindergarten Graduation was great!!! The kids all march in to "Pomp and Circumstance," played by some local french hornists. Then each child got up and read a poem they had selected and worked on for the occasion. Here is spencer's poem.

Bobcat Watching
by 
Frank Asch

I thought I was tracking a bobcat.
I was sure of his prints in the mud.
I felt so smart, 
So quiet and sly.
Hoping to catch a glimpse of him,
I hid behind a tree.
Then suddenly I turned and saw
Him calmly watching me.

Spencer did great! After the poems they received their diploma and the teacher shared a few choice words about each child, including what they want to be when they grow up and what their favorite part of Kindergarden was. Spencer's favorite part was playing outside and doing lessons with his friends. He still wants to be a scientist when he grows up (no surprise there.) Miss Meghan said they enjoyed his calm presence and the stories he shared about his family and his weekends (hmm, I wonder what he told them?) Miss Jill said Spencer is a good motivator for other children. He loves doing map lessons and learning about geography. She said he's great at tackling lessons and is good and keeping himself going. He always wanted to make lots of progress in his lesson folder and would check it frequently to make sure he was getting stuff done. 

After all the kids had a turn they sang a wonderful Montessori song. I wish I had the words to post. It was so cute. Each child got a Magic School Bus Chapter Book and a book of all the poems that had been read and finally dessert! We all had cake and punch, and boy was it good! The boys loved it!

Miss Jill was such a wonderful teacher. I really can't say enough good about her. I always felt like she loved her job and loved helping the children discover the world around them. One of the focuses of Montessori is to teach grace and pose, and respect for self and others. I think she was a great example and I wish we could keep her! Thanks Miss Jill!
Two of Spencer's good buddies, Jordan and Kyler.



All in all I'd say it was a mighty fine evening!
Great job Spencer!!!

No comments: